
Went on a date to the Eureka Skydeck with J.Very scary.
Took a while to get used to it.
J told me to sit next to him near the window,
but I sent a little kid there instead.
He was a bit confused.
"Why do I have to sit next to him?"
-Because I'm afraid.
"Why?"
-Don't ask questions, just sit there.
The boy said it was his fourth time there,
he loved it.
I might love it next time.
Then we had horrible Vietnamese,
which was possible a bit of Murphy's Law,
as we decided to go in because it was packed,
this many people? It must be good.
It wasn't.
Then we went to Hells Kitchen.
Then we went home.
Except my tram was 16 minutes away.
^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*
Almost finished reading The Stuff of Thought
by Steven Pinker.
He's quite a funny for a Harvard Psych professor,
I like his stuff on metaphors,
which he included some metaphors that
apparently school students wrote such as
"From the attic came an unearthly howl.
The whole scene had an eerie, surreal quality,
like when you're on vacation in another city
and "Jeopardy" comes on at 7pm instead of 7.30."
And this he wrote on being reminded (of metaphor),
"As I was thinking bout this kind of reminding,
I was even reminded of a reminding.
In college, a friend and I once sat through a painful
performance by a singer with laryngitis.
When she returned from intermission and began
the first song of the set, her voice was passably clear.
My friend whispered, 'When you put the cap back on a dried-out felt pen,
it writes again,
but not for long.'"
Or new word inventions for things
that don't have a word.
eg:
Sconser n. A person who looks around whilst talking
to you to see if there's anyone more interesting about.
and
Furbling v. Having to wander through a maze of ropes at an
airport or bank even when you're the only person in line.
Its a very good book.
When I went back to the optometrist to collect
my glasses, the girl said
"I got that book"
her colleague said
"Yeah she went straight out to the bookshop and got it."
She told me about The man who mistook his wife for a hat
by Oliver Sacks.
On the way home that day someone was reading it on the tram.
Email today to Dollface:
-What birthday gifties do you want?
"The ability to sleep through the night
the ability to digest a meal
no more stinging feeling in my stomach
no more lump in my back
no more hole in my chest
sorry, you caught me at a bad moment,
even though I've been good for 2 days.
I really don't even want a birthday.
Can I just celebrate yours?"
I replied with
-So that's 2 presents for me then.
Tomorrow I'm meeting J and his father
for lunch.
His Dad is going to work out my personality
from the enneagram thing.
J thinks I'm a 4 - The Romantic.
Who knows.
We have 2 hours to find out.
And I might disagree with the decision.

No comments:
Post a Comment