I was talking to my mother the other day,
I told her my time here was moving
very fast and also very slow at the same time.
She told me to savour it,
to enjoy this phase of my life.
Here's me savouring and enjoying
Thursday the 14th of June 2007.
I wake up to Regret by New Order on my mobile,
I turn it off and close my eyes.
16 minutes later I get out of bed,
open the curtains and the window,
have a shower,
get dressed,
yesterday I felt like a boy in jeans,
today its a skirt, tights, heels,
all in black, apart from red buttons.
I wake my sister up,
I stir her porridge whilst she has a shower.
She has a job interview in the city.
She takes ages, I'm ready and trying to hurry her
along, she says to go and she'll catch the next train.
I tell her I'm waiting another 8 minutes.
We leave together,
she uses my student card to get a discounted ticket.
We stand up on the train, there's barely enough room to
stand, it takes ages.
I say goodbye at my stop,
which is Roma Street,
I like getting off at Roma Street,
because its the traveller's station.
I walk along George Street,
I need to get to the bank,
as I gave my change to my sister,
I get money out, buy a 7-11 sandwich,
a coffee and get to work.
I told A that I'd lent my sister my student card,
she said "Look I found this the other day,
I think it looks like me, but I haven't tried using it yet".
She shows me some students ID card that she found,
that kind of looks like her.
We work, mail boy comes in
and S says "Ladies", we both look up
at mail boy, ha. He silently collects the mail,
and leaves probably to the sound of us giggling.
Yesterday at staff drinks A tells me to look
at the blond IT guy,
blond IT guy is ugly and I tell her
that we're sad to pick the best of a bad bunch
at everything we go to.
My workplace doesn't employ sexy boys,
no matter how many times I request it.
Mail boy is ok.
S tells me that she's going to introduce herself to him,
and that we need some kind of code so A and I can get
ready to look at him.
I said "Say pineapple, or banana".
She says that she's going to ask his name,
I said "Its C" and she says "I didn't hear that,
I'll ask him myself".
Lunch time comes around fairly quickly.
I read Life of Pi, its a really good book.
I'm back at work and mail boy comes in,
S introduces herself,
"Hi, I don't think we've met,
I'm S, I'm new here".
He says "So you're the new girl"...
I say "Ahhh", because she's 50-odd.
"Do you know C? Did you know that she's leaving?",
He says "Yes I know, we've met and I know she's leaving".
He leaves and we giggle some more,
and I blush and tell her she's like an
embarrassing mother.
She said "I didn't warn you because
I didn't know if we'd decided on the code,
pineapple or banana?"
She said she nearly invited him to my leaving do.
The invitation blew off the desk,
she said,
"It was fate, I almost picked it up and said, Oh this is for C's leaving do,
did you want to come?".
That'd just be great.
And entirely pointless.
Anyway, 20 minutes later,
I bring up mail boy to A,
who sat quietly hidden the entire time.
Then I said "How sad am I bringing up
mail boy 20 minutes later".
She said that she was going to say that.
A friend I used to work with a long time ago
sent me an email and said they eloped to Fiji.
Sent me a few pictures.
I'm so pleased for her, she's so lovely
and her husband is pretty sweet.
Now pray for the baby who wont catch...
Please...
I make note of the trainstations
I'll need in Japan,
And which exit and which street
to walk on to my hotel.
One of my hotel's is called
Super Hotel.
I think I'll like Super Hotel.
It cost the most, like 8 times more than the other two.
And it has pictures with things like
"Women like this pack of hair product".
"Make use of the hair dryer".
I leave and walk through the park,
I meet up with D,
we walk up town together,
he's going to buy a lasagne dish from David Jones.
Its on sale.
I get the free paper,
another free paper,
buy 2 magazines
and collect an Epoch Times,
the poor man didn't get any takers,
he beamed when I took one,
Its a boody good read,
left-wing and just great.
I get the only seat available to me,
which is horizontal and between two fat men.
I can't read the paper, because its too big
to change pages.
I read my magazine,
play my mobile phone game,
think about killing myself,
The train trip is just long enough,
that by about 25 minutes you
start wondering the best way to
get off the miserable thing.
That's by killing yourself.
Then I remembered my sudoku,
I turned to the page in the paper,
the man next to me looked over my
shoulder, I almost filled out the crossword
to read "Fuck off looking at my stuff".
Then he turned away opened his bag,
and took out his sudoku book.
I smiled to myself,
I like starting mini-trends.
I get home, my sister is at work,
my father is in bed with a headache,
my mother asks what I want for tea.
Nothing.
She makes me egg and chips.
I read the letter Dollface wrote to me.
Its all very exciting.
My mother asks me why I don't have a
social life.
I said because I can't be bothered.
Its easier to come home,
have tea,
fuck about,
then sleep.
Besides I have exam prep,
for Saturday's exam,
I already feel guilty for reading
a magazine on the train instead of my notes.
Melbourne will be different,
I'll have my rad new pad,
start going out again.
I'm going to have a regular
art-class again,
its going to be called
Who's wine is it anyway?
I don't mention everything here.
And I never will.
Oscars 2018 Predictions
8 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment