Tuesday, 19 April 2011

A day late and a dollar short.

In The New Yorker magazine this week,
there's a story about a guy called David Eagleman,
who's obsessed with time and the brain.
Anyhow there's a part in the article about
a German psychophysicist who timed
his wife counting to a minute,
she got rediculous times
actual time: 37 seconds..
with her perception of time going quicker and quicker.
I just did it with a stopwatch,
01:11 one minute 11 seconds?!
Jeepers no wonder I'm on the side of the population
who thinks we're alive far too long.
I tested K at work, who got 01:16
I asked her how she did it,
One mississippi, two mississippi.
Sigh.

Part of the thing that worries me most
about the brain time-delay thing,
is working with computers,
being so engrossed in your work
then needing to change screens,
or click on something,
open another file
and it doesn't
happen,
the
change
is so delayed
that the brain forgets
what it's doing and therefore
goes into some kind of forced dementia.

Stupid computers, one day in the future computers will be fast!

What am I doing becomes who am I? where am I?
In the article is goes on to talk about Benjamin Libet,
a psychologist who experimented on the brain time-delay thing,
(mostly in shocking the brain, and seeing where the tingle ends up in the body)
and there's a lovely little summation..
“We are not conscious of the actual moment of the present.
We are always a little late.”

1 comment:

Mel said...

One day computers won't exist and we will just think something and it will happen instantaneously! Or so they keep threatening... I couldn't imagine anything worse than some device knowing what I'm thinking and doing it....